Thank you for staying with us in this rough time. Quarantine can be beneficial to start taking care of ourselves. That ultimately means — to emerge with a brand new level of immunity.
Those with chronic disease will face greater threat. The severity is higher in people over 75 y.o. and with undergoing chronic conditions. Obesity presents a higher risk of sickness and potential death.
The question that everyone is asking is “what can I do?”
Massively disruptive time, no doubt. The anxiety is growing mainly due to NO native immunity which means we are all susceptible, which in turn means we might all get it at some point (preferably mild form) and work out antibodies / immunity to it.
Here is what we have learnt by now:
- Over 80% of people infected will have mild or no symptoms and up to 99% will recover normally.
- COVID-19 mostly affects those with chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease, obesity, cancer, lung disease, smokers and obviously – the elderly)
What exactly can be done to boost the immunity?…
Here are some EASY IMMUNE HACKS:
- Our Immune system relies on nutrient dense whole foods to function well. Complications from a disease often occur due to the body’s inability to fight infection because of nutrient deficiency.
- This is a great opportunity to cut out sugars and starch from our diets. One causes all sorts of systemic inflammation, (and feeds viruses and cancers), the other is suppressing proper immune function. Those are: sugary and/or energy drinks, bread, pasta, sweets, sugary snacks, even energy bars, sauces, cookies etc.
- Limit ALCOHOL consumption – it destroys your brain sells, makes you depressed and demotivated while bringing some temporary relaxation. Its a huge immune suppressant.
- Add garlic, onions, ginger, lots of spices (oregano, turmeric, rosemary) to your meals.
- Eat fruits and vegetables, a few servings a day.
- Try to consume fermented foods for your microbiome and hence – overall immunity.
- Start cooking soups and broths.
- Enjoy herbal teas and honey.
- Sleep is crucially important for your proper detoxification, overall mental health and enhanced immunity. Read about Sleep Hygiene and make it an important part of your routine.
- Regular exercise is key to produce new brain cells, provide oxygen to your brain, produce endorphins and dopamine.
Adequate Vit D status is critical for optimal immune function and this cannot be achieved within winter. Studies have shown that people with Vit D deficiency are 11 times more likely to get a cold or flu, where supplementing with Vit D can reduce colds and flu by 42%. IT IS BEST TO GET YOUR LEVELS OF VIT D CHECKED FOR ACCURATE DOSING. Blood levels should be above 30, optimal are closer to 50 and above. Many need a daily supplement of 5.000 or more in winter. Children of about 1,000-2.000 per day. Interesting fact: people with darker skin are more likely to have a mutation of this important vitamin. Hence, are not able to naturally produce enough for a strong immune response. Ex.: over 65% of the population in California are deficient of vit D.
Recommended amount is 30-50 mg a day; it’s an essential immune supporting nutrient.
Healthy gut is a major barrier against pathogens and integral to the immune system. Brands should contain at least 5-10 billion organisms per capsule. Lactobacillus plantarum and spore forms of Bacillus are the best for immunity. Lacto and Bifidum bacterias in abundance should be part of your daily diet to support your immune system.
In addition to good fats – Fish oil will provide more vit A and D, for added immune protection.